the forums

You are not connected. Please login or register

Nation Game 4: Diplomacy (Setting/Fluff) Thread

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 3 of 9]

The Fist wrote:
FireBlaze wrote:
House Bourne-
Instead of fighting needlessly, I suggest that we simply split the lands, which is what I had in mind. We get the south of the river, you can have the bountiful north. We'll even give you the firewater, no strings attached!

What do you feel about that?
Ehh, I'd rather secure the two f tiles. If you wanna resolve this peacefully I'll just colonise some other territory (maybe 396?) and trade it to you for the f at 399.
Fighting is indeed needless in most cases, but right now you just started right up against a resource tile and next to me when there are plenty of the bloody things south of you!
It reeked of Hostile Action to me - why start near 2 f resources and box me in when there are 10 to your south, that could be taken without brushing shoulders with anyone? I know you may be in a bit of a hurry to put up public notices to your House's lore but geez bro, at least check the map. Razz

I'm perfectly fine with that deal. Truth be told, half of my reason for starting there was to get the space 404. Childish, but at least I didn't settle on 69.

View user profile
FireBlaze wrote:half of my reason for starting there was to get the space 404. Childish, but at least I didn't settle on 69.

View user profile
I only set-uo the blockade so that hostile Naval actions (If they happened) would be slowed. I felt since I own a large amount of real-estate on the giant river, I could be attacked, so ya, I was just trying to save my own skin, bu now it dosn't seem you wan't to start anywars, so the Blockade will end at 2:00 am.

View user profile

kobo1d

House Illumin bears a message for Mr. Bourne, and General Randu of the Order of the Hunt,

Bourne has claimed to give away that which is not his to give. House Illumin is currently in negotiations for the purchase of 108 from the throne, and any colonization of such (unless our negotiations fall through) shall be regarded as a hostile act toward House Illumin. Territories 109, 110, 111, and 112 would be perfectly acceptable locations for the proposed "Nature Preserve," though as far as Illumin had last heard, the Order did not "seek territorial position off it's island."

View user profile
Understood.
So where am I meant to expand, then? Illumin's playing jezzball and blocking off large parts of the peninsula, and the empty southwest corner is blocked off by Lanun. I'll have to go through one of them at one point.

View user profile

kobo1d

You're quite the one to talk, about exploitative expansion. I didn't consider it until you elected to span half the continent yourself.

Regardless, Illumin isn't "blocking" anything. Expand away, and quit whining about room to expand, you have the same if not more than most of the other players.

If you are looking for an excuse for unnecessary war, then feel free to delude yourself. But don't expect others to view your excuses as truth.

View user profile
Good ol' Continental span. Smile
Can't blame me for taking the one starting location on the map that had 4 resources.
And yes, I have expansion corridors available.
but so much unclaimed land in the southwest corner! Also so much unclaimed peninsula!
Do want!
*drool*
You can't exactly call war unnecessary - just way too early. Eventually the map will be completely filled and at that time war will be inevitable, and it's likely someone will be boxed in long before that.

Illumin isn't "blocking" anything.
You are -so- totally gonna get 139 and 140.

View user profile
A dispute within the ranks of the order has consumed much of it's time and energy for the past 2 months. However, with the defeat of the discontent in the trial circle the order has once again unified in purchase. With the graduation of the most recent class of novice hunters, the majority of Hunter's Isle is now patrolled to an adequate level.
With recent aggressive actions on the mainland, it is rumored that the Order will soon be taking to the battlefield in force. It's members are eager to show their valor and ability in combat.

A Note from the Master of the Order is delivered to all House Lords and active Organizations:
As a reminder while the Order of the Hunt is dedicated to victory on the field of battle, we only aid those who choose to make it worth our while. If you wish for our blades, or to avoid our aiding your foes, please keep this in mind

View user profile
The fist has an ongoing 'c' for 'b' trade with Zicom.

The Fist offers the following trades:
c, d, e, f to the Order of the Hunt, in exchange for them dropping down on the peninsula and backing me up against any potential threats.
e to the Hooded Brothers, in exchange for d (running a bit low on d)
a, c, d, f to the Black Organisation in exchange for dropping down on the peninsula and backing me up against any potential threats.

That'll deprive me of any c or f for my own use so I'll try to expand to get some spares next turn.
I still have an extra 'e', if anyone wants it. Who wants e?

View user profile
The Fist looked over 'is holdings. He had more drugs than anyone in his kingdom could use.
"William. I want you to see that as many people on this Mars as possible get a free sample of our fine products, with a kind note from meself."
The Fist handed William a stack of greeting cards, each signed by himself
"I know you'll say it's bad for business to give stuff away for free. But there's something called 'reliance' out there. It basically means that if somebody needs us for their fix, they're a LOT less likely to shiv us in the bollocks, and a bit more likely to help us in our times of need."
"What about House Lanun, 'arry?"
"Well, we got the Firewater in a peaceful trade. They get beautiful rolling hills near the bends in the river, we get the drugs. Wins all 'round. So long as they don't interfere with my contraband operations I consider them a friend, and I might even give 'em a free sample of drugs if they ask nice enough."
"No, the REAL goals are 'ere and 'ere."
The Fist gestured to two spots on the map - one on the northern peninsula, one in the far southwest.
"Nobody nearby, rich in drugs. But there's a problem. I'll have to go -through- someone to get to them. Which one do you think we should take?"
"I reckon Lanun, 'arry. They're the weakest, so they're the easiest."
"That's where you're wrong, William."
"You see, Lanun? They're not the type to go shivin' us in the bollocks. Also, there's nobody nearby to help us - we'd have no friends with us. And, most importantly, such an act of war cannot be balanced by any act of kindness because there's nobody there to help."
"On the peninsula? Not only is there lots of land to share, but plenty o' people to share it with."
The Fist pulled down the map again.
"'ouse Oaen, lookin' a bit squeezed in, could benefit from the many lands on the peninsula."
"The Black Brotherhood - shady characters, they are - still need a land to call their own. As they are an island nation, they'll have to land on a spot on the coastline, and the only spots currently NOT held are on that peninsula."
"The Order o' the Hunt is in the same boat, so to speak. They need some benzene, the peninsula coast has benzene."
"And the Sect o' light and 'ouse Illumin are already there."
"Isn't sharin' a bad idea for business, 'arry?"
"Nonsense, william - there's plenty o' stuff to share. No need to get greedy."

The Fist started drawing up plans for peaceful, profitable expansion on the peninsula.
"There's one other thing, William."
"Yes, 'arry?"
"Secure a package of 4 resources to both the Black Brotherhood and the Order of the Hunt. We need to make sure they're on our side if any fightin' 'appens, 'cause if we piss 'em off, we're huggin' the cost of half the bloody continent. Not good for us, william. So, spare no expense, and make sure they get our finest."
The Fist handed William a switchblade.
"And no skimmin' anything off the top."
"Right. Got it 'arry."

---

The Fist's plan: See what I can get to the west in the way of drugs and such. Peninsula's got a lot of stuff, and seems to be an obvious place to expand for now. Maybe expand south later once I've planted the flag on a bit of the peninsula.

View user profile
House Lanun:
Traders and Pirates at heart, House Lanun has always had a penchant for the sea. Their rule on the land is fairly decentralized, with each captain keeping rule of his own ship. The only people captains answer to is other captains who they've given their word to, which is dubious at the best of times. Being so decentralized, the Lanun are fairly nationalistic, united by a shared love of the sea, freedom, guile, and a flexible honor code. The currently ruling house of these lands is the Lanun, who have managed to retain power through a series of charismatic leaders, the current leader cementing his rule through several drinking contests with some of the more powerful captains.

(OOC: Sorry if this is a bit short or rushed, I may add to it later. This is just so that I have some semblance of a backstory).

View user profile
Defenders, under cover of the stars, silently break into outlaw lands. The fighting is short but brutal. Three of the four remaining raider regions are brought under Sect protection.

Reports indicate "Springy", the leader, as escaping to the very west coast (40). Plans to bring him to justice continue.

• Refugees continue to pour into Temple City. The Council works to get the recently-obtained lands back to agricultural production as soon as possible.

• Astronomers within the Sect suggest Phobos may contain great wealth, should there ever be a proper program capable of mining it, such as there was during the fabled pre-Fall days.

View user profile

63 MartianNewsUnderground.com on Fri May 14, 2010 9:17 pm

ANONYMOUS NEWS BULLETIN: HOUSE ILLUMIN'S IMPERIAL PLAN

"Katie Rodriguez here, with breaking news courtesy of MartainNewsUnderground.com. An anonymous tipster has revealed to MartianNewsUnderground.com a map, allegedly leaked from negotiations between House Illumin and the Imperial Throne, in which Illumin appears to be attempting to purchase a groundbreaking 33 territories. If combined with the land the wealthy slave-owning house owns now, this would equal a whopping 10% of the Martian surface. Rumor has it William Illumin is bidding for the empty throne himself, and control of this much real estate would surely give his House quite a bit of say in the matter. Let's talk briefly with our resident strategist, Phil Ghaelin:"

"If the source is to be trusted, we may be witnessing one of the largest land-transfer deals in Martian history. House Illumin is obviously trying to purchase as much of the Throne's assets as they can to further their already strong claim to the throne. Is such a major purchase imperial in nature? Absolutely. But in the grand scheme of things, by the time this purchase actually finalized, the other major suitors to the throne will have similarly large holdings. What we have seen recently is a major consolidation of Mars. The smaller Houses are being gobbled up by the larger, and the throne has been divesting it's assets to repay it's heavy debt. The result has been major expansion by the largest Houses (and private organizations) across the planet. Interesting times ahead here on Mars, that's for sure. Back to you Katie!"

"Thanks Phil! This message was brought to you bu MartainNewsUnderground.com, the leading source of news you won't find anywhere else."

kobo1d

House Illumin has no comment at this time.

(Just fluff guys)

Last edited by kobo1d on Fri May 14, 2010 9:43 pm; edited 1 time in total

View user profile
Oh, because if it wasn't I thought it was just a ploy for the Hous of Illumin to expand...
But why would it be written by a quest? To stir up things?
___________________________________________________________________________________________

Military forces from the Chapter of the Sparrow swarmed into the newly colonized territory of 367. There orders where to kill or capture any criminals, refugees, rouge traders, None employed assassins or mercenaries and traitors. Ones that were captured are to be brought into the city center of the capital and publicly executed. The Hooded Brothers hoped that this sent a message, saying “Corruption we thrive on, but new corruption we stomp on.” Now the colony is under full military surveillance, and any body caught doing something, criminal or inhumane are to be jailed of executed.
The name of this order “Corrupt Blood”

View user profile
Their leader now captured, the coastal outlaws have had their backs broken. Their remaining forces disperse or are killed.

The Council deems it wise to further protect the peninsula tip, and expansion orders are issued.

Sect traders announce they are open for trade negotiations regarding recently discovered diamond deposits, as well as the copper mines.

Current sect resources: 4 diamond, 3 copper.

View user profile
Word on the street is that four ships from the Black Organization, loaded to the brim with Black Knights, were sent across to the Great Peninsula. Only one arrived.

With the Organization expanding off its island in all directions, people are starting to assume the worst.

View user profile
Taking the initiative of the newly brokered peace between them and the Fist, Lanun settlers begin to swarm out across the nearby land, setting up small hovels and villages wherever they are able to.

View user profile
House Oaen is content, for now with our *c* production and ongoing trade.

View user profile

kobo1d

House Illumin confirms suspicions that it was in negotiations with the throne for a major real-estate deal today. Though no price was listed, the total is rumored to be an astronomical sum, even for the wealthy Illumin family.

View user profile
An attempt was made on the life of Mr. Black this afternoon.
The assailant tried to stab him with a dagger; Black's bodyguards caught him at the last minute. Mr. Black had to be restrained to prevent him from beheading the assailant.

Unconfirmed rumors say the assailant is part of an underground rebel organization seeking to overthrow the Black Organization. The Organization's public officials had no comment on the matter.

In other news, the Organization's foothold on the Great Peninsula has grown larger, and the Black Knights are pressing the local populace into their ranks.

View user profile

kobo1d

House Illumin holds the Order of the Great Hunt in high regard, and would like to purchase their loyalty.

We would be proud to have the Order setup outposts in the 109-112 region, and are offering a,b,c,d in return for their military backing in future endeavors, similar to the deal with the Brotherhood.

View user profile
Brothers of the Fist future plans:
Secure expansion lanes. Expand. If boxed in, break through.
Avoid angering neighbours if it does not conflict with the above.
Here is a map of territories the fist could potentially expand into. Since there's way more territories there than I could realistically claim, does anyone have any preference for where I should expand, or where I should not expand?

Currently I'm planning to expand over the map edge to secure an expansion lane into the delicious southwest map corner. Smile

Additionally, I have lots a resources spare: 2a, 1c, 3d, 2e, 1f.
Looking to trade one of the 'd' for a 'b', and looking to drop resource packages on pretty much anyone in exchange for support in any future campaigns.

View user profile
The Fist wrote:Brothers of the Fist future plans:
Secure expansion lanes. Expand. If boxed in, break through.
Avoid angering neighbours if it does not conflict with the above.
Here is a map of territories the fist could potentially expand into. Since there's way more territories there than I could realistically claim, does anyone have any preference for where I should expand, or where I should not expand?

Currently I'm planning to expand over the map edge to secure an expansion lane into the delicious southwest map corner. Smile

Additionally, I have lots a resources spare: 2a, 1c, 3d, 2e, 1f.
Looking to trade one of the 'd' for a 'b', and looking to drop resource packages on pretty much anyone in exchange for support in any future campaigns.

I would assume that this is only a part of Mars, and not all of it. So you'd be traveling east for a long time before you get to the southwest.

View user profile
No, mars is a globe.
if it wasn't then I'd probably be at war with you owing to your starting location, but there's a path around you so that's not necessary. Smile
Load up google mars, you'll see the terrain is at least roughly acurate (if not for the rivers).

View user profile

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 9]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum