Nation Game

the forums

You are not connected. Please login or register

Nation Game 3 - OOC Thread

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 10]

1 Nation Game 3 - OOC Thread on Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:23 am

kobo1d

Please post all OOC content in this thread for NG3.

Does anyone want to volunteer to be official map-keeper?

View user profile

2 Re: Nation Game 3 - OOC Thread on Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:28 pm

Someone should advertise on /tg/. Start of a new game means it's time to get new players.

I'd do it myself but I suck at advertising.

View user profile

3 Re: Nation Game 3 - OOC Thread on Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:40 pm

This is a good idea, I'll try later today, but I suck at advertising too. We may also want to give an extra day for people to start up before moving to the 2nd turn.

Also curious for background- are we viewing mars as being unpopulated except by claimed nations, or are unclaimed spaces filled by unorganized colonists? I could go either way, however if they are unpopulated it would seem better to have turns represent a year to allow for population buildup(otherwise large nations would have very thinly stretched populations). This would raise the specter of tech advancement, but seeing as mars was likely dependent on earth for a lot of it's supplies,establishing factories and developing a complete economy should serve to slow this down. Just curious as to what others think about this.

View user profile

4 Re: Nation Game 3 - OOC Thread on Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:46 pm

minotaur wrote:This is a good idea, I'll try later today, but I suck at advertising too. We may also want to give an extra day for people to start up before moving to the 2nd turn.

Also curious for background- are we viewing mars as being unpopulated except by claimed nations, or are unclaimed spaces filled by unorganized colonists? I could go either way, however if they are unpopulated it would seem better to have turns represent a year to allow for population buildup(otherwise large nations would have very thinly stretched populations). This would raise the specter of tech advancement, but seeing as mars was likely dependent on earth for a lot of it's supplies,establishing factories and developing a complete economy should serve to slow this down. Just curious as to what others think about this.

I'm not really big on 1-turn-is-1-year simply because that makes it more difficult to use characters. Thirty days is thirty turns is thirty years, and that's a long time. If you're using a character for your nation's leader, like I do, you have to keep track of how old he's getting.
Also, I propose we set the date at January, 1984.

View user profile

5 Re: Nation Game 3 - OOC Thread on Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:53 pm

Loving the new rules, kobo1d. Not totally sure that I started a new nation correctly going by them, though, so let me know if I did it wrong, haha.

But yeah, everyone should thank kobo1d for all the hard work he does around here. Very Happy

View user profile http://nationgame.forum-motion.com

6 Re: Nation Game 3 - OOC Thread on Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:16 pm

Honolulu wrote:Loving the new rules, kobo1d. Not totally sure that I started a new nation correctly going by them, though, so let me know if I did it wrong, haha.

But yeah, everyone should thank kobo1d for all the hard work he does around here. Very Happy
You did your gold and colonization wrong.
Colonization cost is equal to your total colonies divided by two, rounded down. So those two territories cost 2 and 3 gold, respectively. You also start with 10 gold, not 15.

Also, I'm doing the map. I don't know if I can commit to being map keeper for the entire game, but I can at least set up the first one.
While doing the map, I noticed that Odin (Or Shaka Zulu, I suppose) did one of his colonies wrong; you have to pick adjacent territories. You can't take 372, so I gave you 315.
Akhomra, I'll add you to the map once you tell me what your country's name is. It looks like you want to be Lord Akhomra again, but keep in mind that this isn't a fantasy game so you'll have to rewrite all your fluff.

View user profile

7 Re: Nation Game 3 - OOC Thread on Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:21 pm

Hrm? How did I use 15 gold? I took the two colonies for five gold, as you said, and created an army with the remaining five.

Do you mean the fact that I have two armies, because I thought we each started with one?

8 Re: Nation Game 3 - OOC Thread on Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:24 pm

Yep, his turn was worded a little odd but seems alright to me

View user profile

9 Re: Nation Game 3 - OOC Thread on Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:27 pm

Honolulu wrote:Hrm? How did I use 15 gold? I took the two colonies for five gold, as you said, and created an army with the remaining five.

Do you mean the fact that I have two armies, because I thought we each started with one?
Oh I see.
I thought you spent five gold each.
In that case, everything looks to be in order.

Here's the map so far:
https://redcdn.net/ihimizer/img594/1455/94785841.png

View user profile

10 Re: Nation Game 3 - OOC Thread on Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:54 pm

Just to clarify, resource producing territories do not generate gold, correct?
If so, I foresee problems for a couple of the nations already started.

View user profile

11 Re: Nation Game 3 - OOC Thread on Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:55 pm

I accidentally saved it as a .jpg, and I didn't add the capitols or list of nations, but I think this is correct. >.<

12 Re: Nation Game 3 - OOC Thread on Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:58 pm

minotaur wrote:Just to clarify, resource producing territories do not generate gold, correct?
oh crap
Who wants to trade for some uranium?

View user profile

13 Re: Nation Game 3 - OOC Thread on Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:00 pm

They produce one gold like normal territories is how I understand it.

14 Re: Nation Game 3 - OOC Thread on Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:03 pm

kobo1d

minotaur wrote:Just to clarify, resource producing territories do not generate gold, correct?

I was just thinking that, actually. At least the USSR and Garden of Eden are currently very dangerous in a fight!

I'm cool with changing your starting territories if you didn't understand resource spaces don't generate gold.

Also, it was my intention to have capitols not be able to be built on a resource or doublegold space. But I have an easier solution rather than disallowing it: Capitols simply generate one more gold than their space would naturally. So a standard space made into a capitol generates 2 gold, a resource space capitol provides the resource and 1 gold, and a doublegold capitol generates 3 gold.

View user profile

15 Re: Nation Game 3 - OOC Thread on Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:07 pm

So, if I am to understand correctly, I am currently set to make three gold next turn, two of which goes to my armies?

If so, I will continue as it is.

16 Re: Nation Game 3 - OOC Thread on Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:09 pm

kobo1d wrote:

I was just thinking that, actually. At least the USSR and Garden of Eden are currently very dangerous in a fight!

I'm cool with changing your starting territories if you didn't understand resource spaces don't generate gold.

In that case, switching 149 to 154, and 152 to 156.
Should give me an income of 2g/turn, while retaining my military advantage. Wait, how does your capital city work if it's on a resource node? Still two gold? Only one gold?
Again, does anyone want to trade for some uranium? I could use a boost to my income...

View user profile

17 Re: Nation Game 3 - OOC Thread on Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:11 pm

kobo1d

Honolulu wrote:So, if I am to understand correctly, I am currently set to make three gold next turn, two of which goes to my armies?

If so, I will continue as it is.

This is correct.

View user profile

18 Re: Nation Game 3 - OOC Thread on Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:13 pm

Then I'll stick to my choice, wait three turns, and take 182 for a gold boost which should get things rolling.

19 Re: Nation Game 3 - OOC Thread on Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:14 pm

kobo1d

Premier Cherdenko wrote:

In that case, switching 149 to 154, and 152 to 156.
Should give me an income of 2g/turn, while retaining my military advantage. Wait, how does your capital city work if it's on a resource node? Still two gold? Only one gold?
Again, does anyone want to trade for some uranium? I could use a boost to my income...

I hadn't foreseen resource capitols in the rules. I just changed it so capitols just generate 1 more gold than usual.

So your capitol in 150 would generate 1 gold (and uranium), and your two new additions will generate 2 gold, and you will have 1 gold in army upkeep.

View user profile

20 Re: Nation Game 3 - OOC Thread on Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:18 pm

Why so long? Why not just one day?
Also, I assume we'll be advertising on /tg/ AFTER the spam stops?

View user profile

21 Re: Nation Game 3 - OOC Thread on Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:29 pm

kobo1d

I posted an ad on /tg/ but apparently Honolulu has changed this subforum to only be viewable to registered users.

I just want to give ample time for people to receive my mass PM, and I feel like a prospective new player would be more inclined to join if it is turn 1 still.

View user profile

22 Re: Nation Game 3 - OOC Thread on Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:34 pm

Honolulu put his tripcode in the email field. Very Happy

View user profile

23 Re: Nation Game 3 - OOC Thread on Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:35 pm

kobo1d

saw that too lol

View user profile

24 Re: Nation Game 3 - OOC Thread on Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:36 pm

Haha, so someone did notice.

25 Re: Nation Game 3 - OOC Thread on Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:02 pm