Nation Game

the forums

You are not connected. Please login or register

Nation Game 3: To Pick the Rules

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

26 Re: Nation Game 3: To Pick the Rules on Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:50 pm

On the new rules:
A little complex, but also gives some nice options.Overall I like them, despite the many nitpicks I'm listing This will require a bit more record keeping on the part of the game runner(and we may want to have both a volunteer runner and a separate volunteer mapper this time to reduce workload)

I'm not sure that we really need victory conditions. In the past both on the board and on /tg/ games generally end by mutual consent. I feel having a set victory condition encourages less rp and constrains play styles, I for one play more to develop my nation and interact with other nations rather than strive for dominance.

I like that nations cannot just give territory to one another however it should be cheaper than a colonization to encourage negotiated settlements over war, maybe at half cost of a regular colonization.

The resourcing idea seems interesting but may be a bit too powerful as written, adding 20% to a dice roll is nasty, and potentially being able to double a dice roll would give a massive edge to the first nation that can would have all resources. I would suggest dropping this to a either a 10% bonus, or a fixed value, and/or only having 2 or 3 types of resource on the map for the first game, so that the maximum possible bonus is no more than 50%.

Only being able to use a given army once in a turn should work well for penalizing multiple front wars, however I am afraid that this could lead to massed spam attacks and last minute attacks to try to get a strike through. (for example, I see that an opponent has used most of his dice earlier this round so I wait until 11:50 so no one has time to take advantage of my weakness, then through all my dice in 8 separate attacks at him at the end of the day, knowing that he won't be able to come up with dice to fight most of the attacks off)
And while I see what you were going for with the Free Defense Dice and Natural six kills armies rules, it seems like this maybe adds a bit too much complexity.
As a combined solution, maybe nations should be limited to one battle per opponent per day. The nation that wins can take multiple territories from their opponent, but must pay gold with the same cost as colonization for each territory won(this also helps give an edge for a smaller nation fighting a larger one). Only having one fight per day also makes things easier for determining ally support, as the ally can declare and roll their support when they post, then at the end of the day the total for both sides with allies can be determined for victory.

The Non-Nation Entities rules are an interesting option, as long as we also have enough national players to make it worthwhile. I would suggest a large number of it's special resource(maybe 6, depending on number of players) rather than an unlimited quantity though, as this would encourage players to vie for it's favor and require the entity's player to choose particular nations to support rather than being able to support them all.

For civil war/revolts: To allow them to come back a little more readily I would allow players to keep 1d6 armies when their nation is eliminated. They do not pay upkeep for these armies and may use them to support others(representing things like the free french/free poland forces from wwII, and this would give the rebel player a way to curry favor and earn support from others), but cannot purchase new armies until they try to revolt. Also, is the 10 gold a base cost to revolt? If so, I might lower this to 2 or 3 gold as the rebel player will also need to be purchasing armies as well, which should already represent a pretty big barrier to revolutions.

I would also allow people who wanted to join the game after the cutoff date to do so in the same manner as an eliminated player (i.e. they can choose a name for their faction/ethnic group and a desired homeland province, start generating 1 gold a turn(and maybe 1 army to represent their guerrilla forces), and be permitted to negotiate with nations to gather support. This way even late comers still have a way to play.

View user profile

27 Re: Nation Game 3: To Pick the Rules on Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:35 am

kobo1d

Edited OP again. Now we just need a good map with 450 territories.

View user profile

28 Re: Nation Game 3: To Pick the Rules on Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:23 am

Can we annex unclaimed territory as many times per turn as we can afford?

Also, the new rules for war feel like they'll make war incredibly long and boring; I'm all for making it less appealing, but only one attack per turn seems really slow.

Also, we should come up with a mutually agreed upon length of time for a turn to encompass. Last game Syrnn treated it as a year and I just sort of rolled with that, but I think that's a bit long for a WWII game. Maybe a month? And the game could start in January.

EDIT: What type of map are we doing? Middle East? Random? Global?

View user profile

29 Re: Nation Game 3: To Pick the Rules on Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:08 pm

kobo1d

Yes, but it gets increasingly expensive to do so, so the overall rate of expansion doesn't grow exponentially.

While you can only attack a player once each turn, if you win you can take multiple territories from the attack, as many as you can afford. This could lead to some pretty dramatic blitzkriegs if you have the economy to back up your military.

Since we are going WW2 for this game, I was thinking about adding Nukes. Maybe 100 gold to make a nation's 1st, and 50 gold to make more after that. They would completely wipe a territory, making any 1 territory useless to any player(generates no gold/resources).

I'm cool with a month-turn.

The map is either Earth, or a random world's global map. I was going to go with whichever we had an appealing version of (I am not the best cartographer, so I was hoping somebody posts one).

View user profile

30 Re: Nation Game 3: To Pick the Rules on Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:00 am

kobo1d

Can someone help me finish dividing up the map? I'm exhausted, but want to start ASAP.

Our goal is 450 territories.

Mars, also known as the "River Planet" for it's bizarre network of rivers and lakes.

View user profile

31 Re: Nation Game 3: To Pick the Rules on Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:22 pm

kobo1d wrote:Can someone help me finish dividing up the map? I'm exhausted, but want to start ASAP.

Our goal is 450 territories.

Mars, also known as the "River Planet" for it's bizarre network of rivers and lakes.

I could give it a go if you told me how many territories you have divided already and which tool you used. Line? Box? Circle?

Someone else will have to label them, though.

View user profile

32 Re: Nation Game 3: To Pick the Rules on Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:36 pm

I wonder, do the rivers have any in-game effect? Seems a combat penalty for un-assisted crossing would be appropriate.

View user profile

33 Re: Nation Game 3: To Pick the Rules on Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:38 pm

i mean it is ww2 era, rivers shouldnt be much of a hasle as long as yuoor troops arent re-tards, Pontoon bridges ftw

View user profile

34 Re: Nation Game 3: To Pick the Rules on Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:54 pm

I disagree

View user profile

35 Re: Nation Game 3: To Pick the Rules on Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:03 pm

Im a nazi, your argument is irrelevent

View user profile

36 Re: Nation Game 3: To Pick the Rules on Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:10 pm

Kaiser Arger wrote:Im a nazi, your argument is irrelevent
+1 Internets

but anyway, i don't think the rivers have any function, mechanically

HOWEVER, they are perfect for justifying long trade or miltiary routes.

View user profile

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum